PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 18:43
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
PJ2:

A point on cognitive factors, raised by ECAM Actions on the other thread.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post6487657

In short, Low Speed Stability in pitch channel Alt Law may be trying to move the stick one way (senses slow speed from FUBAR AS system) which is nose down. This can be overridden by the PF pulling ("back stick") the other way, which could have been overridden by a bit too much force initially?

My idea, perhaps dead wrong, is an initial reaction was response to that perceived stick load (nose down) with an overcorrection (see 7000 FPM zoom climb) initially corrected to 700 fpm climb ... but that doesn't answer all of the mail. Given my own experience in flying out of trim aircraft (now and again in ham fisted fashion) I can see how this might play out.

What my own instrument flying experience -- both my own episodes of making a hash of flying on instruments, and watching pilots under instruction or on a check ride do similarly -- tells me is that if that feel was a factor, an inextricably linked factor is (I am on the cognitive theme here) likely a scan breakdown away from primary scan instrument -- attitude indicator (artificial horizon) -- early in the event. All my previous posts down rabbit holes of partial panel and tumbling gyros aside (sorry about all that) it is isn't that uncommon in instrument flying, even with a working attitude reference, for cognitive mismatch to occur when tasks and stimulations add up. (Aside: playing the SOB sim instructor allows you to find any pilot's task saturation point. *Insert Evil Cackle here *).

Since we don't know what he was seeing, and apparently can't from the way FDR data is recorded ... how can one get to the root cause of his control inputs?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 1st Jun 2011 at 18:55.