PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 18:30
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
ECAM: this is the first time I have understood that feature of the system, Low Speed Stability.

Low Speed Stability will attempt to pitch the nose down to maintain just above Vls, but the pilot *CAN* override this (maybe that is why the PF was pulling up - he was stopping the nose from dropping in the belief they were flying and the systems thought they weren't due to the low airspeed reading?).

I'll post a link to your post in the Tech Log discussion, since I have yet to see this man-machine interface issue raised in the deluge of posts on that sub forum. It may have been mentioned, but not in the concise way you just did.

PF is in ALT Law, so hand flying, which means flying a bit by "feel" (is this right, AB drivers?)

I have flown conventional aircraft in out of trim conditions, so I think I know what "feel" might be in his hand, and induce a pitch up that it takes a bit of scan to realize is happening. This might explain that initial "zoom" at 7000 fpm and initial "correction" to about 700 fpm climb ... thanks for switching the light on for me.