PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick rant....
Thread: Quick rant....
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 14:50
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ct8282,

I come from a poor family and in my first proper job I earned 12.5k. Seven years later, I work somewhere completely different and earn around 40k. Like you I could say I worked hard to get where I am. It doesn't really mean anything though. The people that get support from their parents so they can go to OAA may have an easier start to flying than the rest of us, but it doesn't mean that they would be any less driven than the rest of us to go out and earn the money to pay their own way if they didn't have that advantage.

I can't help but read your post and think that because you've gone out and put the effort in that you now seem to expect some recognition and praise for your efforts. To be honest nobody cares how you pay for your training.

I agree you can be positive and get where you want to get to in life, but the negativity here on Pprune isn't exactly baseless as BoeingDreamer has already indicated.

Professional aviation is probably unlike most other industries in that there isn't a typical ladder to climb. Personally I would love to have a go at flying turboprops for a living. If I could live on the salary being offered I'd certainly consider any flying job. It would seem however that if you're goal is to get into the RHS of a jet, than flying TPs is not the way to go. Airlines do employ cadets with minimum hours and the cash for a type rating, but for direct entry pilots you will likely need to have jet time rather than just experience flying TPs. This much is evident from reading threads here on Pprune.