PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:28
Cirronimbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I work as a shop assistant at a large supermarket chain, I immerse myself in aviation nightly, through PPRuNe, contacts and talking to people in the industry on Instant messengers. Most of my aviation networking is done from home. I feel that working a job like mine and paying off my own training as it is done is beneficial as I know where my money is going, and it's my money right now, so I'm going to get my money's worth from the training. Not only that, I think it is a much cheaper option to go through a small flying school than do a uni degree. Is it worth the difference in monetary terms?"

That is an interesting view. Just like 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', the "worth" is also up to the individual to decide. In my case, I study on-line and thoroughly enjoy it. I consider my money is well spent. I get to "immerse" myself in aviation at work, through on-line study and discussion, and also get some info and ideas from this website too. I consider some of the ideas, information and experience that comes from on-line interaction with the other students (who are experienced people in a variety of aviation fields) on my course as nearly priceless; at least I doubt that I could get such useful and reliable information from 'public' websites. I have found that the training I am getting through uni is extra to what I've received from any flying school and it is relevant to what happens in the industry. This 'extra' training can not hurt. I guess it will depend on what you think is useful to you and what you think is value for your money?

On the other hand, I have met some uni graduates who happily boast about their uni educations, and in the same breath, will gob off and display their complete lack of knowledge about basic aviation concepts. It isn't about whether you have a degree or not, it is about what you have learned and what you put into practice.

Good luck with your studies, what ever form they take.