PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Airways (in OZ) Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 1st Jun 2011, 07:56
bjork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RELAX

... Just RELAX and be yourself. You get examined on a multitude of things, is really just a matter of committing things to memory. I started my cabin crew career when i was 39, and was shyte scared i hadnt studied since uni, like almost 20 years before. Main things you need to learn ( which they will give you at the beginning of training) are your cabin prep drill, and cabin evacuation drill. There are about 8 steps in one of the drilld and about 11 in the other. It took me afes to learn them, they had to be word perfect, as well as having to learn the over wing briefing which had to be word perfect practically as well. The good thing is that you dont get examined on these 3 components until the final day, so you have plenty of time to learn them. Final exam comprises of multiple choice and some written components, ie, wat is the announcement the captain makes for certain situations. It was a bit more arduous and thorough than my current airlines exam process, but hey, you really gotta know your stuff. You also get examined on fire drills, decompression and your doors at the Qantas centre. Thats when you get examined on your door commands, and the evacuation drill.
It sounds all daunting i know but if you work & study every night then you will pass. Trust me, it is a lot of study and hard work in a short timeframe, however once you have learnt it all, well it all comes together and sinks in.
When i started training at my new airline, a lot of the training was quite easy, the biggest and hardest thing to do is relearn your door drills, which does put experienced cabin crew at a disadvantage in my opinion because you have learnt the door drills from your first flying job, and they are usually the ones that have sunk in, and because their are usually just subtle commands that are different, it is very hard to "unlearn" your original commands. Anyway im jumping the gun a bit. My advice is that you just have to study pretty hard for the 4 weeks of training, its only 4 weeks, and keep refreshing after you have got through GS, because you always have your morning briefing before you get on the plane, and if you dont know your stuff they can stand you down, so its good to keep learning, and refreshing (ie, read your manual regularly).... Goodluck, if you got through uni you will breeze through it