PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 01:00
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takata
Originally Posted by BarbiesBoyFriend
I've not seen much on how the Airbus normally trims for you. But I might have missed a bit here and there.
I think that while Airbusses design is great when it's all working , it's notso when in ''not normal' mode.
Would you pull up to max deflection while trimming down your nose at the same time?
Certainly not.
If their THS was trimmed close to max (+13/14 deg), it was because autotrim followed their NU imputs. Once AoA overshoot +30 deg, autotrim was not working anymore: it could only be applied manually by the trim wheels (see my post above and parts about trimming manually in direct law).

Basically, it means that they didn't aknowledge to be in a developped stall at the first place, hence, trimming down was not their main issue: their lack of nose down imputs certainly was before they reached such an high AoA while falling from FL380.
Even so (without manual trim imputs), elevators (if not fully stalled) should have had enough power to recover below +30 deg AoA (due to low airspeed) and autotrim would then follow their nose down imputs. When and how much did they try? we still don't know yet from the release of informations.