PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying skills
Thread: Flying skills
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 17:55
bobwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most captains in my company are not too comfortable if an FO suggests to fly manual. Manual flying in my experience is very rare and only on nice days. Manual flying practice is for in the simulator. Al data is monitored and if you exceed a limit or a gate while manualy flying you will be contacted by the company. People just don't want to take the risk.

If you don't fly too often manualy, it gets harder when you do. You need more capacity. And that puts people off even more.

However, the airbus has lots of failures that imply the loss of the automation. Manual flying skills will be there, but rusty and will consume a lot of capacity which will be taken away from decision making.

For the company it is off course of interest to collect lots of data indictating that 95% of the approaches are within certain limits and thus get a cheaper insurance bill. This is done through the flight data monitoring systems and I know from colleagues in other companies that they have that too. However, I do have the impression that in some other companies hand flying is more commen, like the example given above.