PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 15:00
matthewsjl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For example, there is not enough informations to understand why the A330 climbed and stalled at 38 000 ft :

> the pilot gives «ordres à cabrer» (pitch-up orders)

> then the PF gives «ordres à piquer» (pitch-down orders)
Actually, I believe there is enough information to determine why the aircraft entered an initial climb after the disconnects - the pilot commanded it to.

Now, I also think that the report is missing some information but the BEA has shared when power settings changed. After the initial AP/THR discconect, no mention of a power change is made - so it is probably at the setting for FL350 and M0.8. The first input is a pilot commanded climb with a max recorded rate of 7,000ft/min. By the time they reached FL375 nose down had reduced that rate of ascent to 700ft/min (I believe that the plane was still climbing at that point albeit much slower than initially).

Without an increase in thrust, there is a trade of speed for altitude. Most likely pilot commanded but turbulence/updrafts may have played a part too. I think if there was an intent to climb over any weather then a thrust setting change would have been made by the PF and none is noted by the BEA.

At 2h10m51s the stall warn sounded. It probably hasn't stalled at this point - the BEA indicates the last 3m30s were stalled and the recording finished at 2h14m28s. That makes the stall a 'fact' at 2h10m58.

John.