PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ipad's on Alaskan to replace flight bag
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 11:26
Mansfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have used an EFB program at my current employer for a while now, and the iPad has become a part of it. At present, we do not use it for approach charts and maps, so I still carry my Moline plates across the Atlantic, just in case...

However, I have all of the required manuals on the iPad. The company provides electronic updates, which I can download in a matter of seconds. If anything, one downside is that the absence of a page-by-page revision process tends to allow one to overlook what changes the revision contains...some degree of discipline is called for in that respect, particularly when you are updating the manuals quickly before a trip, etc.

That said, the access to the airplane manuals, MEL, Performance manual, etc. is incredibly easy and fast. With a word search if necessary, useful references can be found in seconds. The touchpad interface allows very rapid entry through a hyperlinked index of table of contents.

I also use mine for weather documentation; in a matter of about forty of fifty seconds, I can download a set of pre-bookmarked weather charts and reports for any trip I fly. I can then carry them on the iPad, which provides very good resolution and the ability to zoom in to areas of a chart you may be most interested in.

We are required to carry a spare power source. There are several that are acceptable. The EFB has to be turned off for takeoff and landing. As far as fragility, mine is in a leather case, like a leather bound book, and is unlikely to be damaged unintentionally. The QRH is required to be, and hopefully always will be, a hard copy...although I have it on the iPad for study purposes, because it is so ridiculously easy to install and read.

Now all we have to do is make sure that the cute little GPS based "find-my-iPad" locator feature cannot be accessed by management, or worse, crew scheduling...particularly on those "company-issued" versions...