PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Pilots 'unfit for flying' Sent Home
Old 31st May 2011, 10:41
minigundiplomat

Received 188 Likes on 72 Posts
If directed at me, the cap doesn't fit! The RAF that you allude to was a completely different one from the 1940s, as today's Air Force is different from one of 2 decades ago. The brutal truth is that the level of operational experience across the RAF exceeds anything that has occured over the last 50-odd years, and this is reflected in the campaign medal tally many of us now have (6 at last count, excluding QGJM). This is why I - and I suspect many of my serving colleagues - have little in common with the blazer-wearing, crimson faced, bewhiskered old buffers demanding a Defence Service Medal for 2 years spent in W Germany or elsewhere. If they were on operations, fine, otherwise they should count themselves lucky for not being away for extended periods of time from friends and family, amongst communities that would cheerfully kill them!
Whenurhappy,

Having read the above, from someone who's posts are generally amicable and loaded with common sense, I can't help feeling a little disappointed.
At what point does an exchange of views get so virulent, that denigrating those who have gone before us becomes acceptable?
There are massive differences between the generations [my service spanning both the cold war and recent ops - I am all too aware]. That does not nullify their contribution, or negate any opinions they may have on this thread.

I leave it to your conscience, but personally, I would like to see the post deleted. I'm sure it looked fine in the heat of the moment, but I would urge you to reconsider your line of advance.