PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truck Driving beats Helicopter Flying for Career Potential
Old 1st Oct 2002, 17:37
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
I prefer the freedom of deciding when I get out of bed....and where. In the truck, I turn on the Sat TV...check the weather channel....hit the button to the coffemaker...check for any Sat Com messages.....think about my day over a second cup then set off. Lunch is when and where I wish...naps when the need arises....and end the day watching telly or reading. It takes 4-5 days to get to the other coast.....a couple hours unloading then off to the truckstop for a break. Load the next morning....then head back for the other coast. My trips are predicated upon hitting nice places to eat...visit with friends....and drive the scenic places. Long days in the cockpit and long days in the truck are not much different....except it is high quality stereo music in the truck and what selections you get from the ADF when not being interrupted by a whining copilot crying about everything from the pay....pace of upgrades....and why he has to get out and handle the baggage. The driver seat is sure a lot nicer than any aircraft seat I have ever had....and having a nice bed behind you for your kips makes it all the better. Sprawling in the bed, popcorn in the microwave....a cold softie....and a good movie on the TV...never had that in a helicopter. I have GPS and moving map nav displays on the truck....never had one on a helicopter.....I set my own pace...route.....and decide when to take my time off....never got to do that in the helicopter business. The boss is sometimes 3,000 miles away....and is never closer than one mile...thus close supervision is not a problem. No checkrides, medicals every two years instead of every six months.....it is all single driver unless I desire to share the truck with another driver.....and better pay than for flying helicopters. If the weather gets bad.....I park....and wait until it is good enough to go again. If something goes wrong mechanically.....I coast gently to a stop and call a mechanic to come fix the thing. Lightning strikes and commercial pressure don't affect me in the truck....but the bad news....well there just isn't any Glory in being a trucker!