PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair is about to close
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 08:27
BigFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible tie up with Turkish Airlines ?

That at least is the story being headlined by one of the main Spanish economic papers this morning, Expansion.

I know nothing of the economics or the avionics (sic) but the politico-cultural- sponsorship background might be worth commenting on.

Turkish Airlines are currently one of the major sponsors both of the Barcelona FC ( a well known local soccer team who have not been strangers to success in recent years... or indeed days) and of Euroleague, the basketball equivalent of the combined European Champions League & UEFA Cup (old name), which has its HQ in Barcelona. So in those relatively trivial terms "it makes sense" and to some extent it builds on pre-exisiting links given the small country nature of Catalonia and its petita i alta burgesía catalana cohort of movers and shakers in all the fields just mentioned. Most others too. ( A bit like The City ?)

Now whether any of this is a solid basis for a tie up between 2 airlines, one from within the EU and one from outwith, I will leave to others with more knowledge.