PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New JQ Contract
Thread: New JQ Contract
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 08:21
Trevor the lover

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Artificial

Not a bad post with some good points. All except one which I take a minor issue with
"Well I am sorry but the industry was screwed the first time some young bright eyed thing offered to work for the 'experience' We are all guilty of it one way or another."

Not so-- I personally am not guilty of anything - 7 jet endorsements, numerous jobs behind me, never paid for a rating, never worked for free, never undercut anyone. I have just been damned lucky and I am the first to admit it. Not everyone has the luck I have had. But by the same token, I made my luck. Of all the stepping stones I have had, only once was a resume answered. All the rest I made happen with phone calls, badgering people, and the old "who you know."

I will never throw stones or cast dispersions on those who have paid for ratings or done whatever they have had to do. There are arguments to all sides of these issues. I have been lucky and I have never been in a position where I may have had to make that compromise. If I was, what would I have done at the time, would I have copped a crap contract, paid for a rating, or whatever. Well I can't answer that - too many factors to consider at the time - such as am I currently unemployed, do I have kids to feed and educate, do I have sick kids needing treatment????? Guys will have to make decisions based on the circumstancesat the time - personal circumstances, current aviation environment circumstances. Make your decision, live with it, don't whinge when it is not Nirvana.