PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 07:02
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been writing these posts forever...

Sure but the problem is that the Aviation degree doesn't make one iota of difference to getting an Airline gig. Sorry guys.

I'll tell you what makes a difference:

3 years.

3 years spent messing around at uni is 3 years you are not getting the minimum qualifications to gain entry into a jet job like the one I have now. I fly with a lot of Captains that are exactly my age and younger. Do you know what the difference is? I went to uni before getting the minimum experience, they didn't. I'm not saying "don't go to uni". Hell, do a bloody phd if you want! Knock your self out. What I am saying is GET YOUR BUM ON A SEAT BEFORE THE MUSIC STOPS! Then.. do the degree.

Another lovely couple of thoughts for you. Every time we have an EBA another B scale comes through in one form or another like it or not. This is the "lucky" country. The longer you delay it, the worse your long term conditions are and the further down the seniority list you are. How would you like to be an effo for life? Do you think Airlines will hire forever? Jump in the Delorian and come back to the 90's and you'll get a surprise at how many jet jobs were going back then! Its all about cycles.

While you're at it, ask your accountant to crunch the numbers of 3 years missed at the top Captains salary earning level has on your long term financial well being! Thats right you are shortening your earnings at the top level by 3 years. Lets say 20 years command vs 17. Wow thats one hell of a degree!..Bloggs brushes himself off..."****, that just cost me a million dollars!"

Last edited by Mr. Hat; 31st May 2011 at 07:42.