PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New YRED CTAF
Thread: New YRED CTAF
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2011, 04:59
Dora-9

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Jaba – Oh how true!

Happy Bandit – since both Caboolture and Caloundra are still on 118.8, aren’t you still going to have interference?

What a fascinating process this has been. While I agree that three busy airfields sharing the same CTAF frequency is less than desirable, are you aware that both the Caboolture Aero Club committee and the Redcliffe Aero Club CFI are/were very much opposed to this change? My understanding is that they were very concerned about “late” calls from aircraft proceeding between the two airfields if the frequencies were split, as they’re but 8 nm apart. Apparently CASA chose to ignore both club’s wishes and listened to the strident clamouring of just two individuals.

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to leave Caboolture and Redcliffe on the one frequency, and split off Caloundra? There isn’t the problem of short transit distances, and it removes the confusion of having aircraft calling their position at two airfields (on the same frequency) which have the same runway directions. But then I wouldn’t dare suggest CASA listen to the people who know or use much sense either.

Seemingly whenever you seek an approval now from CASA you’re required to submit a Risk Analysis – I wonder if they did one for this exercise.