PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 21:52
Meccano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many moons ago I had a LHS pitot heat failue in an F50.
We were near top of descent when it happened, it was daylight, and I was aware of the consequences if we flew into icing.
We were in clear air, but I gave control to the F/O.

On descent we encountered a thin layer of cloud. We had no alternative - it was a continuous deck.
Within seconds of entering the layer (we went IMC) my airspeed suddenly rocketed upward toward VMO. It oscillated there for a few seconds then rapidly returned to an about normal reading.
Although I expected it, although I knew what was happening, although I had a good ADI in front of me - still - every fibre of my piloting instinct was screaming at me to pitch up to prevent the overspeed I was witnessing.

Of course, I didn't.
But - I was in daylight (even if IMC) and in relatively smooth air.
My excellent F/O was flying, and had normal ASI indications from a good pitot. Nothing had happened in terms of pitch/power changes to justify this abnormal lurch in speed, so my experience over-ruled my basic piloting instinct to react.

And we were in VMC in a minute, with normal ASI readings restored on my side.

But believe me - until you have experienced this - you will never understand the shock and disorientation it can cause.
At night, at high altitude, in heavy turbulence, with complex failures cascading through the systems and shutting down flight control functions - God help any pilot faced with this scenario. Do all the rationalising and armchair deconstructions you wish, but being in the hot seat at that fateful moment is an entirely different matter.