PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 21:14
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
little known facts

Well, well, well.

As someone asked the 'bus drivers some posts ago, how many realized that AoA was considered invalid if airspeed below 60 knots? Oh!!! Sheesh, the airspeed is deemed invalid. What now, kemo sabe? Where's my AoA "protection"? Oh! There it is again, but I am stalling and maybe getting a speed warning. I am confused.

So "attaboy" to mm43 and Hoppy.

I then ask all to look at the "reversion" sequences in the manual and all the "protections" lost at each stage. Having trouble with capturing the page, so check back later or look at previous ref by 'bird, et al.

To Doze:

We luv ya, man.

I want you to code my next hypersonic space vehicle's flight control system and guarantee the system will work exactly as SPECIFIED, not DESIGNED. Jez kidding, and I feel your pain ( not really, but we're in the stag bar now and I can be honest, heh heh).

Jocularity aside.

The concern over weather seems overdone. From the BEA report, it appears climbs and dives were not done with fairly level flight attitudes as we would see in a severe updraft/downdraft or mountain wave or microburst. They seem to be directly related to pitch attitude and later, a flight path vector in a fully-developed stall. Sorry, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Secondly, unlike several here who wish to have a "conventional" control mode, I can't see it. Even in the older jets there are dampers and limiters on the control deflections and deflection rates. Some are based on dynamic pressure, some on body rates. Last jet I flew with zero of those was in 1971. So the best I can see is a FBW backup mode that emulates the older jets we are used to as the Boeings and original Airbus.

And we don't have it!!

My biggest problem with the laws for the FBW 'bus is they try too hard to "protect" basic attitude and roll angle without emphasizing AoA. Then there are all those connections with the autopilot. I really like some of the law changes in "TOGA", wow, couldn't go around without all those, huh?

On the good side, the gee command for pitch is really neat ( versus AoA command like a normal plane), and allows for the so-called autotrim. Actually, all it does is maintain 1 gee, even in a bank up to certain limits. My jet didn't do that, so we needed to click back a notch of trim in a turn. Big deal.

On the bad side, a reliable backup law for the 'bus might consider primarily the gee and AoA for limits, while still applying body rates and maybe "standby gains' for dynamic pressure, and allow airspeed to take a lesser role ( especially unreliable airspeed).

I see far too many "notes' in the manual and combinations of failure modes that are not clearly explained unless you read all the fine print.