PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 19:53
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoth DozyWannabe:
Quote:
If with no increase in thrust and a nose up input after a stall warning sound along with a climb rate of up to 7000 ft/m cause the airspeed to rapidly fall?
Not by that much and not that quickly.
OK, let's look at energy. Potential energy is mass times gravitational force times height, mgh. Kinetic energy is 1/2 the mass times the speed squared.

So we should be able to calculate speed lost from the height gained. "m" or mass is the same in both equations. So we can leave it out. The change in potential energy was m * 32 feet per second times 1500 feet. The change in kinetic energy must equal this. So 1/2 m dV^2 (delta-V squared) is 32*1500. Or dV^2 = 32*1500 or about 219 feet per second which is about 130 knots REAL speed. That needs to be converted to a change in kCAS and I'm not sure of that conversion. But it puts the plane's velocity change within the ballpark of what was shown.

Thanks for tweaking me into doing the rather simple math. They note no change in thrust took place. PF may have expected, for whatever reason, CLB thrust to be asserted. This might be because he moved the stick before the stall warning was played.