PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking information on Captain C. N. Pelly - my grandfather
Old 30th May 2011, 19:09
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been checking out my Propliner collection. Mandy, this is a well-known (to us lot) and longstanding, very professional (but done by amateur enthusiasts) quarterly magazine about old propeller aircraft.

Capt. Pelly seems to have spent more time on the Canadair Argonaut than anything else, and I recalled a long article about the BOAC fleet from a while ago. Propliner 78 (Spring 1999) and 80 (Autumn 1999) contain this, in two parts. There is just one mention of Pelly by name, saying from June 14 to July 8 1949 he, along with three other captains, was on the pioneer BOAC Argonaut proving flight from Heathrow to the Far East. He must have been one of the key crew to get on such a trip. You may like to see the lengthy article, notwithstanding that it is mostly about aircraft and mechanical issues of course, because it describes in detail what must have been a major part of his life.

Here's a question from something in the article. Did he ever suffer from hearing problems ? Apparently it was common among longserving Argonaut crews in later life due to the sheer noise of the engine exhausts on that aircraft.

Against our normal policy here I'm going to sneak in a link to a place (who is also the magazine publisher), because both 78 and 80 appear to be still available. Telephone them at the number shown on their home page, you will normally speak with forever-helpful Janet, and you can have them in the post.

Propliner Current

I'll go through the Britannia articles in the magazine sometime as well, but that is a longer task as it was very extensively covered over time.