PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying your own rating
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2002, 15:19
AMEX

I am quite happy to agree with you about "Different places, different practices".
I have never worked in SA (love the place though) and the informations about the SA's market must be dating as all my friends who left Bostwana to return home, did so between 97 and 99. All have found jobs back home (RSA) with some flying the 1900s, the 748 or the 73 and the 72 without having paid for a Type Rating and this is what I base my opinion from as far as this part of the world is concerned (Europe and other places in Africa, it is down to my own experience).

Perhaps this due to the fact they, like me had decided against it and did everything they could to avoid this further financial commitment. At the end of the day, if one is reasonably happy in the airline he works for then, leaving without paying a bond or shortly after having joined, would never be an option.

From a company point of view, is it really better having guys who join with their Rating and going at the first opportunity they have found ( for always greener pasture) ? Or wouldn't it be better to make sure these guys stay because they are aware of how good they have it ?
In the short term, I agree that pilots who paid for their ratings are a better option. Often though, airlines have a short term view and knee-jerk reactions are not uncommon (such as laying off too many people or hiring too many in a short period of time). Perhaps long term views should be adopted when talking about recruitment, investments, re-branding so even if the initial outlay appears to be somewhat higher, down the line all would benefit.

Anyway like you said, it is really down to the individual to decide for or against it. Always interesting to share views in a reasonable manneers, makes a change from some thread on the site.
How's the Black Label these days ?

Stratocaster

A couple of weeks back there was an advert in Flight International saying the following. Prestwick based AOC charter operator. Multi engine hours building. PA34-200 Seneca. 25 Hours at £75/hour. Mini requirement CPL/IR, Multi Engine Rating, Dangerous Goods, CRM, Fire and Safety certificates.

Whoa ! all that just to build time !! Or is it more like the company is looking to employ, err sorry to use paying pilots ?