PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 18:28
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by promani
bearfoil

"BEA know exactly what happened, and could explain it in layman's terms yesterday."

How right you are. If their reason for only releasing the limited info was to placate the media and stop leaks, I fear that the opposite will happen. I can't imaging Le Figaro et al sitting back and waiting for July.
I can see Euros being waved under the noses of those 'in the know'.
I wonder if mm43 can relocate to France to get some insider info, which he seems to be good at?
I'm not willing to say "BEA know(s) exactly what happened...." They may suspect it. But knowing what happened and why it happened requires careful analysis. What happened does not necessarily tell you why it happened and what corrective action must be taken. They are working with a vastly richer data set than before. But they do not know what the radar screen showed. That's not recorded (quality video uses IMMENSE bandwidths compared to FDR standards.) So there is still guesswork.

I hope they avoid the "quick solution" you and bearfoil seem to be implying we could have and instead drill down to the real factors that contributed to the crash. If fault is needed for some emotional reason get it right.

And be sure to accept that sometimes "stuff" just happens. If I had to apportion blame at this moment that is exactly what I'd blame. A situation that was "rumored" and "suggested by past events" struck this hapless plane with more force than any other plane that may have experienced it. After that crew reactions may have made a bad situation worse. And the cause for that seems to this SLF to be training, inexperience with real control of aircraft at that level, and basic primal human reactions.

What happened apportions blame. Why it happened discovers how it can be prevented, which is infinitely more important. If we never learn why 228 people went to a watery grave for nothing. And THAT would leave me furious - not that I as a person matter that much. The Internet does give some leverage here, though.