PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truck Driving beats Helicopter Flying for Career Potential
Old 1st Oct 2002, 15:09
SASless

Received 547 Likes on 222 Posts
Truck Driving beats Helicopter Flying for Career Potential

Having been both a Truck Driver (Articulated Lorry Driver for those on the east end of the Salt Water Divide) and a Helicopter Pilot....I have found several common areas to both but prefer Truck Driving for its advantages.

As a Trucker, and having modified my Big Truck with an airhorn from a Locomotive (Big Train Horn for you Brits!)....I found it to be great fun and added immeasurably to my work day. The concepts of weight and balance, fuel loading, fuel planning, route choice, weather planning, and compliance to regulations and procedures was not all that different. Pay was better (for those on the West end of the Saltwater divide anyway) but the roster was worse. Managment was better....not nearly as autocratic nor were the licensing authorities as hard to deal with.

From previous threads, it is apparent that too many of us would choose not to repeat our careers in helicopter aviation......my question is how many would take up truck driving....lorry driving as a replacement occupation?

Why , there is nothing finer in life than to form that special bond between man, machine, and the open highway! (of course the UK segment of the population would not know of that concept as we do in the US or Australia).