PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 16:11
sensor_validation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paull
Rather than worrying about the state of the PNF, if we are going to read things literally then 'THE PILOT woke the Co-Pilot', not "had him woken" so it is a good job this did not all happen at 1:55am with just one pilot, one asleep and the captain out of the cockpit.

It seem illogical to criticise how awake someone is, when there are probably numerous occasions when you are happy to accept just one in the cockpit.
Interesting this is not yet clearly stated - I assumed the 2nd co-pilot was sleeping in the cockpit in the "Third occupant seat", where he would have been at take-off - or just an intercom call away. There was a post, probably by PJ2, in an older thread detailing the likely seat moves, and who was controlling from where - I don't think there's anything new here - although the tabloids seem to have it wrong.

I still feel that the BEA have started to paint a picture hinting at the crew interactions by their publication of selective facts.

Sullenberger always praises his co-pilot when talking about the Hudson ditching, the Singapore A380 engine incident was worked through by all (5?) in the cockpit. The first officer in the recent fatal air India crash missed his opportunity to abort his sleepy but senior captain's landing.