PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ludham and Weybourne
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 15:00
alphaalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weybourne is easy enough in a crosswind. You can land uphill, approaching from the sea - towards the hump (i.e. the roughly 17 direction); then depart downhill, towards the sea, on 35. The strip is in Lockyers. Pay your landing fee in the museum. Fill in your movements in the caravan. There's a pub for lunch in the village, as well as a cafe at the museum. Nice place to visit.

Years ago, it took me three attempts to land on 17. I had got the local wind from Norwich ATIS; it was southerly, but not very strong, so an approach for 17 seemed very sensible.

On the first attempt, slightly fast, and realised I was too high, so went around. On the second attempt, concentrated hard, turned final at the correct height and speed, but still ended up too high, despite a glide approach, so went around again.

On the third approach, super concentration; slightly low starting final; soon realised glide approach was needed; touched down slightly long and used all of the short-grass, damp runway to stop.

What was the problem -- a big CB just off the coast which turned my head wind into a significant tail wind. The windsock looked right, and agreed with Norwich, but I read it 180 degrees wrongly.

Nevertheless, well worth a visit.

Alan.