PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Pilots 'unfit for flying' Sent Home
Old 30th May 2011, 09:38
Fortissimo

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts
As ever, this seems to have degenerated into mutual mud-slinging. I think you need to look at this without plastering it with emotion or righteous indignation. The simple fact is that it is about perceptions. There is no doubt that the social mores prevailing during the 70s and 80s have changed: what may have been acceptable then is no longer seen the same way. This is not restricted to the military - just imagine the fuss if these two had been professional sportsmen who got lagered up prior to a big match. Remember Freddie Flintoff losing the England vice-captaincy and being banned (= fined) for the pedalo incident? And before anyone raises the 'ops are much more important than sport' issue, I agree, they are! Which makes the perception worse...

A govt employing military force in the full glare of international scrutiny has a right to assume that all measures are being taken to avoid mistakes - it actually has a duty to ensure that LOAC is followed, and it has a duty to protect others involved in the operation regardless of which side of the border one sits. Hence there is regulation handed down usually in the form of orders. The civil sector is regulated and policed, and there is not much sympathy there for those who stray, just a P45 or equivalent. Whether the GDC 2 would have 'failed' a comparable test when they turned up for duty is open to question - none of us have the facts. However, the perception of Joe Public (or the Govt) is that they would have been unfit, and that is the part - exacerbated by the involvement of the locals - that causes the reputational damage and invites the questions about whether ops are being conducted professionally.

As for the subsequent order sending the JOA dry, I don't see that as weak leadership. The easy option would have been the 'do nothing'. Ask yourself how you would respond to the question from SofS' office asking what you had done to prevent a recurrence. If your answer is 'Er, not a lot...', it is your leadership that is weak, not those further up the chain. I do have sympathy for the GDC 2, as there is every possibility that the consequences of their actions will be more severe because the 'offence' has been made so public. There is at least one career in ruins. And, yes, there but for the grace of God... etc.

However, what I find most distasteful is the knowledge that one of our own chose to contact the media and feed them the story. Why? Or did it come to light via PPrune and Training Risky's helpful rush to post event and names on another thread? Who knows. I accept this is a rumour forum, but it is always worth remembering (pace Orwell) that some rumours are more damaging than others.