PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 08:38
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few points:
That sounds real scary, if the pilot cannot control a primary control surface
Pitch Trim is always available to the pilots (save double Hyd failure).. just move the wheel and overrides all FBW. However, you'd have to be pretty confident / assertive to do it outisde Direct Law, not part of the training (save one exception discussed above for some operators).

Stalling - the training/understanding of airline crews is infrequent and limited in scope. SOPs / monitoring and warning systems are designed to warn of, and recover from at the approach to a stall. Expecting crews to comprehend what goes on beyond the stall i.e. IAS <100K AoA 40deg+ is unrealistic. Who knows even how far the certification went in this regard?

Please NB 2 x 757 also complete loss with UAS and the confusion that reigns over contradictory wearnings / instruments. As an industry I would not say we are much advanced from that point. You might just see a fair performance in the sim (and is the sim model correct? unlikely) in a "set" training package - to see that replicated 2-3 years later, at night, circadian low, with no warning I think unlikely to see a good % of well handled recoveries

Think where the industry is going. We could easily have only a cruise co-pilot on the Flt Deck (other pilot on a comfort break)...