PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Fashioned First Class Cradle Seats?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 07:25
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are referring to First BA, circa '92?

However, whilst not quite to the same standard, you might try KLM World Business which is pretty close to your requirement. Recently, I've voted with my feet and happily said farewell to the declined standards of VS and BA out of LHR and taken to KLM via Amsterdam. I have to say I'm impressed. They have made a real effort in a number of areas which are paying off. I fly quite regularly to Toronto and have managed to get myself in 1A or K (for that slightly better view ahead)on a 747 Combi on most occasions. The crew are always welcoming, with a visit from the Captain before departure being a frequent occurrence. After take-off, the CSD (or whatever KLM call them) comes round and says "Hello" in a genuine way. The wine selection is very good and the food is quite frankly, excellent - by far the best I have ever experienced in 30 years of flying. It is served on china with some very avant-garde cutlery. On an outbound flight, I like to sample half a glass of a different accompanying wine with each course. The crew couldn't be more helpful, new glasses and a real effort to assist with the wine selection. On that subject, if you haven't tried Flying Pink Port, give it a go. A Rose port which I liked so much, I bought some in the UK - even my wife drinks it. The in-flight entertainment is as good as any other premium carrier with a wide selection of films etc.
Not so good?
Well, ironically the seating (which you like) is not up to that of the competition in that it is not true "lie-flat" although I find it OK and more preferable to the VS "urinal". I believe they are changing the seating within the next year or so but hopefully not to the cubicle system. Perhaps they might model it on the United product which allows conversation with your neighbour if you want it. Other downside is having to transfer at Schiphol. Depending on where you are flying from, KLM City Flyer connections might not have that many flights a day. However, while the lounge facility in Amsterdam does not compare with VS or BA, it is comfortable, large and has complimentary snacks/soup etc and drinks. It's fine to work from while you wait for your connection. There is free wi-fi connectivity that seems to work OK with all email except AOL - any help from those who know about these things would be gratefully accepted.
Final not so good...in my experience, the KLM ground staff have not (yet?) been on the same customer service course as the flight crew. In my opinion, the KLM website is also slightly under par.
Final good? The price. J Return to most destinations circa £2700 if you plan a bit carefully. The most I've paid was £3400 for a flight to Changsha booked two days before the flight