PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 04:03
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
there is no medical degree program, and by that I mean, that awards one with a MBBS, that is offered part-time

Back in the bad old days, one could structure one's flying to provide an essentially fulltime availability for other work, including training - might have affected the sleep a little but it certainly was possible.

The easier approach is to do the training fulltime prior to running with the flying job. Such was my strategy and, indeed, I just missed out on completing the BSc/BE double in parallel with engineering (without doing the extra year) as well as completing the bulk of my flying training on weekends. Mind you, back in those days, we averaged one or two nights a week working straight through without any sleep .. just par for the course, as it were. The Arts folk had a more relaxing life but that's the way things were and, I suppose, engineering is not all that much different these days ?

Actually, I originally intended to enrol in medicine but tossed that idea away over coffee on the day and went for aero .. I probably would have made a dreadful medico anyway.

However, full-time medicine and recreational flying is certainly feasible and probably the more sensible out of the pair

Again, in the bad old days, more than a few airline pilots opted for professional flying on a recreational basis.

Now, if a medico can tie work and recreational flying, what is the subtle difference between the two which might preclude professional flying ?

Main point is that some have combined medicine and professional flying with some success so the option remains valid.

In any case, medicine is but only but one of a number of vocational courses to which the budding pilot might look. The important consideration is to do a course in which one has significant interest and can contemplate a career if the flying turns to custard for whatever reason.

I might note that those of us in '89 with a second string to the bow suffered, in the main, far less stress than many of our flying-only colleagues.