PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best flying school to enroll in the philippines
Old 30th May 2011, 04:03
silentwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@dnomyer:
I would just like to comment on the link claiming that you placed to verify your statement that Philippine Airlines is one of the most dangerous airlines to fly with.

Aviation News - Top 10 Most Dangerous Airlines

"No.4 Philippine Airlines

Founded in 1941, this is the national carrier of the Philippines. If it wasn’t for a series of terrorist incidents, this airline probably would not appear on this list. Unfortunately, it seems to fall victim to attacks far more often than most airlines. There have been at least three bombs and one hijacking in its 70-year history. Despite this catalog of misfortune, a small crumb of comfort is the relatively low number of deaths -- the worst tragedy saw the plane disintegrate after a suspected bomb explosion in a lavatory, killing 36 people.

Completed flights: 1.18 million Fatal accidents: 6 Deaths: 107"

If you read the article carefully and critically, you would find that PAL is not as bad as you would think. Here are my points:

1) The author states "If it wasn’t for a series of terrorist incidents, this airline probably would not appear on this list. Unfortunately, it seems to fall victim to attacks far more often than most airlines. "
- which means, it was airport security that failed and not of fault of the airline itself. Also, there was really no reason for them to be in the list in the first place if not for the terrorist attacks.

2) The statistically speaking, 107/118,000,000 (assuming the 1.8 million flights = at least 100 passengers/flight) make .0000009% of people who have died compared to the millions who have already flown with the airline.

3) With a history of 70 years, of course the probability goes up that a fatal accident occurs therefore the author is wrong to solely base his figures on number of fatalities and accidents. A better sample would have been total accidents/ number of flights. Actually, there are a lot more variables the author could have used that are much better but I don't think he cared that much and simply wanted to exaggerate things.

4) What I think happens is this actually builds to the airman-ship of the Filipino pilot! Imagine having a BOMB blowing up with a hole in your plane and still landing the plane. Now, I don't think you have a right to lam-bast the airlines in Philippines until you have done the same yourself.

And do you know where a lot of airlines in the east go to have their planes maintained - Luftansa Tek Philippines - Technically part owned by Philippine Airlines.

Last edited by silentwing; 30th May 2011 at 04:38.