PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 03:11
beachbunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THS inputs

Interesting post yesterday from Jcarlosgon

I was kindly allowed an extra exercise at FL350, about 170 tons, CG around 30%, about one year ago. Pull up from FL350, all 3 ADRs off, kept it at 15 degrees up till it stalled, à la B707/27/37, A310, in gone years.

THS went full back, don’t remember the figure, and sidestick was released, N1 at 85% (A/THR off). The nose came down to about -5 and went back up to +10. Rate of descent was between about 6K fpm and zero, or slight climb (sim is an A330 with PW engines, 85% is slightly above needed N1 for turbulence at M 0.80).

Not a Bus operator myself, what causes THS to move? Is it only pilot inputs from the trim button on the stick, or does the computer tell it to move?

Could it be that the pilot inadvertantly thumbed full nose up, while gripping the stick. I suspect that the audio of trim movement could well have been lost among other warnings sounds, and once trimmed full back, recovery would be almost impossible, unless trimmed back the other way.

Given all that was going on, white knuckles on the stick would not surprise me one little bit.

Last edited by beachbunny; 30th May 2011 at 04:49.