PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 02:03
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me one thing :
Loss of airspeed indication happened several if not a lot of times before without a loss of aircraft. Why this time ?
The Air Caraïbe incident wasn't exactly a walk in the park, nor the Northwest one.
I doubt AF will ever bother to find this crew and ask them how they did it. After all, it's all in a very comprehensive paper they wrote that nobdy bothered reading until......It then almost turned to the New York Times best seller.

Training ? A lot has been said about this. Every aircraft I trained on I had to go through the Loss of Airspeed syllabus.
Awareness is what it's about. It's been said above by an Aussie 330 pilot who's airline had several incidents of the same kind before 447 ever happened.
1/ Keeps out of the weather
2/ Memorizes pitch and thrust
3/ Briefs F/O and S/O
4/.....could have been 1/ Stays with his bumm in his seat when bad weather forecasted because he knows this is exactly the kind of spot you are likely to lose your speed indication.
And this Ladies and Gents gives you................Qantas.

These guys get the same kind of training major airlines get and yet everything they've had to deal with in the last 3 years was totally out of the ordinary and they dealt with it superbly.
So why is that ? I would say compagny culture, personal ethic and discipline added to a long history of phenomenal track record.