PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of Qantas in jeopardy: Joyce (Merged)
Old 29th May 2011, 23:30
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
diff slant on things

One can almost get lost in the mirad of threads/posts that abound in here re QF & AJ's woeful handling of same.
Lets cut right back to the core of the situation here, the downward spiral of QF & WHY.
Oh boy some could answer that in as much as a few words others could write a book as to why.
For whatever reason you believe to be the case here the end result will be a great many will loose. A.J. & his cohorts won't suffer too much at the end of the day he'll go (hopefully) & still take lots of cash with him whilst leaving the ashes behind. CEO's the world over often pass thru Co's some make a difference for all the wrong reasons some walk away standing tall & proud, the latter a rarity these days sadly.
So here's the question..........Why had the likes of AJ & 'tricky dicky' found it necessary to ruin what was once a great Co.? Surely no sane man would do such a thing from the outset. Some will say he is insane, probably is to some of us but he didn't ascend to his current position by destroying Co's along the way. So what's the answer.................? Not answerable in a few words but lets look at the basics.

Forget AJ for a moment he's just a desperate man now, a figure head whom obviously has no idea I think most agree on that it's more that QF is playing for want of a better word in a world where may other Airlines are competing for the traveling public's dollar.
There's what some 6 billion+ humans on this planet? The world is shrinking due low fares where everybody can afford to travel these days BUT that comes at a cost. So in order to sustain that philosophy that everyone can afford to fly these transportation Co's need to keep the costs down in order to compete & still turn a buck for the share holders, that's the nuts & bolts of it.

What we have here are two opposing ways of thinking/idea's. (bit like the Airbus, doesn't like going down & slowing down at the same time) One is cheap costs to give cheap fares (we all want them) in order to compete but to also keep increasing employees remunerations/job security as the cost of living only ever goes up. What a conundrum, what a mess we are in!
We all want a better lifestyle who doesn't a fair days pay for a fairs days work. What's fair ??..............that has us here going back & forth doing battle with 'them', the Co's that we work for. We can't stop the world it's out of control in some ways we made it that way ourselves but what we can do is work together to make it 'spin' at a rate that's sustainable. If it takes QF's demise or some form of total restructuring then it was meant to be, so be it perhaps we need another 'ice-age', a little revolution can be a good thing:-).
There's some tough decisions coming up here, not everyone is gunna like the outcome, some toes are going to be trodden on for sure.
I don't have all the answers I just try to stand outside the problem & look in as if it doesn't effect me. What I do know though what we have now is unsustainable & AJ knows this,but is he going about it the right way? Now there's an even bigger question!!!
For me before some of you go off the planet here I was caught up in the Oil industries world of 'restructuring' some years ago (that new "in word"back then) with a powerful union at the time (TWU) where all Mobil employees at Tulla where moved on & then re-hired under new T&C's. That changed my life forever & there was nothing I/we could do about it despite severe industrial action . My job at the RFDS came to an end due simply the evil of mankind,money/Govt's, that also changed my life. Now I work in an industry that's forever changing, less secure than ever. It's good to stand together for sure but it's smarter to make yr own nest as secure as possible & on yr own don't rely on anyone else Hard times ahead, we ought to get used to it.

Just thinking out loud here

Wmk2

Last edited by Wally Mk2; 30th May 2011 at 01:03.