PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 21:28
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GY & CJ, perhaps what is really needed is a reactions test for something like AP and AT disconnect during cruise. Does the person make the correct action when it happens? That takes care of the er "meatware" part of the equation. The second part of the equation is whether the "correct action" is properly defined.

The really unfortunate thing is spending an hour letting the people in the cockpit relax because sometimes nothing happens during this phase of the simulator check becomes "expensive" quickly. What a person does in real life is not necessarily what she or he does when knowingly facing a test situation.

(That's why I think looking into past experience and the reactions honed there may be well worth it. One tends to go back to "imprinted" reactions when in a crisis. Is extreme mobility between types a good idea or not? Most of the time it is OK, accident records prove this. But when fighting for that extra 9 in reliability speak you look at this type of issue. And this accident is really in the decimal places to the right of the 99. part of the number.)