PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 17:08
aguadalte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torquemada60
Reading through the comments on this web site, it appears that 3 pilots made wrong decisions. They chose to fly through a storm when many airlines had deviated their course by miles. The Captain went for a nap knowing there was a storm ahead. The two copilots appeared to be poorly trained and unable to cope with issues.
I hope Air France will be punished and the families compensated for what appears to be recklessness, arrogance and a total lack of professionalism from the pilots.
Don't worry Torquemada, AF is already "paying" and the pilots have already paid, with their lives. With AF, and its pilots, its a question of "company culture". We all know that...

But regarding the Report,
I must say, that I find the (3 pages) BEA report quite insufficient and vaguely accurate. Its quite tendentious, because it doesn't give all the relevant information. One has to read between the lines to figure out that a lot of relevant information was not aired, yet.

First of all, because it doesn't give us a clue (apart from a couple of phrases between the two co-pilots, that point to the general idea that they have lost valid indications and that they were in bed weather) of what was really happening in the cockpit during those 3 or 4 minutes:

- What kind of information was being "shown" on Pilot Flying's #2 PFD/ND (yes I know it is not registered but, are there any conversation clues(?), other than the ones selected by the BEA to be transcripted to the report). Was he first responding to an overspeed indication,(2h10m16s) and only after he has reached 37500ft, (2h10m51s) he has triggered TO/GA in response to another "Stall, Stall" warning?
- What was the role played by the 13º Trimmable Horizontal Stabilizer (THS) plus the 4.9Ton of fuel stuck on the Trim Tank?
- What was the role of the "systems invalidations" design that below 60kts and 30kts, cancelled the "Stall, Stall" Automatic Call-Out Warning, and may have lead the pilots think they were out of it during precious seconds?
- We know that the Captain was able to reach the cockpit. It seems that by that time the speed read-outs were so low that the Stall Warning was out...but, what was his assumption of what was going on? By then, the aircraft was at about 35000ft, Pitch at about 15º and thrust 100%. Did he tell anything? Did he try to help? Didn't he notice the high pitch? Didn't he notice, the wings bouncing and the PF saying (only a minute after his entrance in the cockpit), that they were reaching FL100?
- Was the PNF so occupied, handling the ECAM, that he didn't notice the vertical speed rate, until FL100 was called off?

This report has a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of information gaps.

I think we should render the benefit of doubt to the crew, before crucifying them on the public arena. I do know its not "natural" to pull-up during a Stall, but I'd like to know more about what has really happened in that cockpit, before judging them.

Again, as to "Company Culture", as to why enter the thunderstorm, as to lack of formation, etc. I think we should get back to the times when, Safety was never compromised in lieu of commercial revenues, "Fuel Saving" programs, low cost tickets, passenger protection programs, etc.
Do you find any logical explanation to why is it possible to pay less for a two hour flight ticket, than for a 15 minute ride taxi? Well, millions of passengers do!