PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 15:34
Diamond Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECAM_Actions
I can understand lots of alerts confusing the crew, but seriously, does anyone actually think that +16 degrees of pitch at high altitude is going to enable the aircraft to maintain a healthy airspeed?
Well, here's a guy who thinks the pilots were at first presented with information that the plane was flying too fast. This is the first I've heard this take on the situation, but read what he says:

First, an erroneous speed indication showed the plane was flying too fast. The pilots, believing the erroneous speed to be genuine, slowed the plane. As they did, the speed suddenly indicated the speed was too slow. But this speed indication, only 60 nautical miles-per-hour, was obviously incorrect.
Without accurate speed information, the pilots slowed the plane too much for the wing to provide adequate lift.
Black Boxes Tell What Happened To Air France 447 - National Fear of Flying | Examiner.com Black Boxes Tell What Happened To Air France 447 - National Fear of Flying | Examiner.com

Any comments on this theory? I hadn't heard myself that the pilots were at first presented with information that they were flying too fast. Could this be the reason for the nose up inputs? They thought they were in an overspeed condition?

Last edited by Diamond Bob; 29th May 2011 at 16:02.