PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking information on Captain C. N. Pelly - my grandfather
Old 29th May 2011, 09:40
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Mandy W :

A few comments on your notes because that is the sort of thing we do here. And no, we're not all geeks !

What a fascinating career your grandfather had by the way. Do you know where he learned to fly ?

Hillman Airways was a very early independent airline in the mould of Freddie Laker and Richard Branson. They operated from Stapleford Airfield, near Chigwell in East London, to the Continent and UK holiday resorts. They principally ran De Havilland Dragons and Dragon Rapides (also known as DH84 and DH89) so those types would be expected in his log book as well. Hillman operated from 1931 to 1935

The progression of the early airlines was that Hillmans were absorbed by British Airways (a 1930s company nothing really to do with the current major airline of the same name), and they operated from Heston Airport (on the site of the current Heston Services on the M4) to various north European points. BA were in turn merged with Imperial Airways at the end of 1939 to form BOAC, although by then the war had started and any remainin civil airline operation was mixed up with the RAF.

If he had a career going from Hillmans to BA to BOAC, that would be straightforward. If he was with Imperial he must have left his job to join them. None of the aircraft types you describe were operated by Imperial.

The aircraft used by Chamberlain to go to Germany was Lockheed Electra G-AEPR, which features in the background of the well-known photograph of Chamberlain returning (which is taken at Heston and not, contrary to common belief, at Croydon). I take it you have checked this photograph of Chamberlain at Heston (eg http://www.ssplprints.com/zoom.php?h...8&image=100769 ) to see if he is one of those in aircrew-type hats at the back, against the aircraft.

The Canadair and the Argonaut are the same aircraft type, the Canadair C-4 Argonaut. BOAC operated these from 1949 to 1960. The Bristol Britannia came along slowly in the late 1950s and didn't last so long with BOAC, the last went in 1965. I would guess your grandfather's retirement coincided with the withdrawl of this type, if he was near to completing his career it would not be worthwhile to train him on jets.

I wonder what he flew on the Berlin Airlift as none of the types you list were involved.