PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 07:38
PPRuNeUser0163

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna have to disagree with the above 2 posters.

Whilst its true you dont actually need a degree, it can help and in the next few years (with Aust taking on from Americas lead where the vast majority of airline pilots have degrees and were scouted from colleges). Plus a 3 year course versus 1.5-2 years which is realistically what it takes to go from 0 to FATPL MECIR CPL or CPL/FIR is not a huge difference when your that young.

It also provides a good backup- people say theres nothing in an aviation degree- I disagree, if you do a commerce degree and you hate it there will be nothing worse. Also, key management roles plus senior pilot roles such as Check and Training, Chief Pilot, etc are filled in a large part by those with degrees as it just adds to your experience. In terms of a backup as I said, it shows you have the motivation to get through a course which is challenging and maintain a good balance between flying and the academic side of things. With the amount of management and business related courses in a Bachelor of Aviation degree nowadays you are well equipped to go into a business type field, or even gain say a commerce degree in a much shorter period of time if the unthinkable happens and you lose your medical.

Just my 0.02c , take it as you will!