PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 01:24
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown through that zone and it should be manageable on a normal night without needing the captain to be in the cockpit if it is his rest time. We are normally deviating around weather. They both seemed happy with the 12 degree left deviation. A bit of turbulence is normal in that situation so the FO advised the FA's. Somehow the pitot tube icing up caused the pilot flying who hadn't probably handflown the airplane much before lost his airspeed thought Airbus says it won't stall so pulled back so when the static source at his higher altitude gave him with the trapped pitot pressure caused the overspeed warning he retarded the throttle, then came the stall warning which he ignored so put it in a deep stall 3,000 ft above his assigned altitude. You cannot zoom climb an airplane that large without running out of airspeed. Everybody knows that. Other than monitoring the autopilot I wonder how many hours he had flying manually in an airliner. I heard he had 800 hrs in type and less than 3,000 total hours. How many hours was not monitoring the autopilot?

This new generation of low time pilots might not cost much pay wise but what do you think Air France paid for this crash?