PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011, 00:21
jcarlosgon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the accident I went through stall, UAS, training in the sim, as per Airbus syllabus.

I was kindly allowed an extra exercise at FL350, about 170 tons, CG around 30%, about one year ago. Pull up from FL350, all 3 ADRs off, kept it at 15 degrees up till it stalled, ŕ la B707/27/37, A310, in gone years.

THS went full back, don’t remember the figure, and sidestick was released, N1 at 85% (A/THR off). The nose came down to about -5 and went back up to +10. Rate of descent was between about 6K fpm and zero, or slight climb (sim is an A330 with PW engines, 85% is slightly above needed N1 for turbulence at M 0.80).

Recovery was done by pushing forward. The surprise, for me, was not the amount of force on the stick to keep that nose about 3 degrees down, in order to get the THS in a comfortable position, about 3 up, at, oops, about 20000’. The surprise was how so long it took. The flight controls never went from ALT to Direct Law.

Shame, I did not try it with full THS up and full forward stick in Direct Law.

Someone posted, my thanks, that stall training is done with stab trim not behind normal (scheduled) IAS for the configuration. That happened to me, even in the military. No problem at the time, no A/P, no autotrim. Problem later, with “moving stabilizer” stall, with A/P ON (B707, 727,737, A310). Same with autotrim aircraft, A320/330, if not properly handled. Check out the OEB concerning Radio Altimeter wrong reading to zero, versus stabilizer trim during go around, as well.

Let’s wait for a more complete report, CVR and flight data.