PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Pilots, You Are Losing The Battle.
Old 29th May 2011, 00:15
Romulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GB
Wrong, Leigh Clifford and Alan Joyce simply do not want mainline pilots in their "future Qantas" even if we worked at GA rates of pay.

Romulus, we are fighting to keep our jobs - all the other crap in the media is simply smokescreen.
GB, your post highlights the issue. You have my argument 180 degrees from where it is. That is the key thing about media, you need to make sure your message is out there in the way you want it.

I agree, you're fighting to keep your jobs. Now tell me why, as a member of the general public, in a way that resonates and gets media traction, I care about that? Sure it matters to *YOU*, equally as I pointed out earlier, that doesn't matter in the media war. You need to convince Joe Public of that. And it's not just because "QF are so good they're the best" because it's pretty obvious that, given the others aren't exactly falling out of the sky on a regular basis, you're not.

And remember to put yourself in Joe Public's shoes. Everyone is under the threat of being outsourced to India/China/wherever. What makes you so special? Why should I care when overpaid flyboys have to face the real world? If you're making $500K a year to have the fun of flying a plane, chasing hosties and travelling the world then suck it up the punters will say.

That's the perception you're fighting, you need to address that in the way that the public will buy into. Heck, even the wharfies got the public on side so why aren't you guys?

Let's be clear - YOU ARE CURRENTLY LOSING THE PUBLIC VOTE.

And that makes your opposition stronger.

And out in public land that smokescreen you refer to is working. You can yell and scream and call it a smokescreen all you like, but you're losing because of it. Either you find some way to blow it back at QF or you'll find that the smokescreen enveloping you is actually mustard gas and you're campaign is dead.