PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 22:34
HazelNuts39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ask26 #448
Many people are wondering if as is speculated why the PF pulled up as one of his initial actions. I think on Page 1 of this particular thread one explanation has already been given:
"If he thought he still had stall protection, would commanding pitch up be a way of trying to tell the aircraft: I don't want to lose altitude, and I'm relying on you not to let me stall?"
Could that desire not to lose altitude be linked due to the weather deviation, (which I think could be one of the psychological factors affecting the PF's initial reaction) in that they were just clearing the tops of a cell and were worried about the subsequent impact of losing it. Hence the application of TOGA to attempt to compensate for the pitch up.
Originally Posted by CoqSim
The sad thing is PNF seemed to be more aware of what was going on. Very early on in the sequence PNF effectively declares, we are in UAS regime and we've lost protections. PF never acknowledges.
These inputs made me think of the Recovery Technique in windshear/downburst conditions (close to the ground), where the pilot is (rightly) encouraged to rely on the High-AoA protections in Normal Law (FCOM 3.04.91, but my copy may not be up-to-date:
- Thrust levers: TOGA; - Follow SRS orders (including use of full back stick if demanded) - Note: If SRS is not available, initially use pitch attitude up to 12.5° but this pitch attitude can be increased by using full back stick if necessary to minimize loss of height.