PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 18:20
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bienville, to address the response to the stall I very drily note you are correct. The correct response to a real stall is drop the nose (any way you can) and gain speed. Why did the Continental pilot die with a recorded 150# pull on the stick as his plane stalled into the ground? Why have many other pilots responded to the stall warning with a pull up and goose the engines move? Is this because the stall warning is taught as "the plane cannot stall, this is a warning it might (contradictory here but a paraphrase of what I've read here) stall so pull up and push throttles forward some to compensate."

As I read messages here, on this thread, there is no real "you are now stalled" warning for the A330-200.

So as I see it, based on messages here, the pilots reacted to training and pulled up. A slight bit should have sufficed. It didn't work. So from there it turned to poo rapidly.

And if I had to involve a pilot error in the picture that is the moment. They were not thinking when the stall warning happened or THEY would have seen it was spurious. (IMAO the computer should have seen it was spurious.)

edit: (I must say I am impressed by your persistence in your claim that the first stall warning indicated a real stall. It stalled from around 38500' when the airspeed really did get too low for that altitude. The first warning was, as I indicated, purely spurious. If not howinheck did the plane slow down fast enough to enter a real stall? No indication of such a deceleration is made.)

edit2: I note that the 2:10:16 interval notes the pilot flying made a nose down stick movement. So the initial reaction was correct.

Last edited by JD-EE; 28th May 2011 at 20:03.