PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 16:05
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I myself have hit sever icing at FL 320 and it comes apparent as the noise in the flight deck rockets and the windshield, even at night, whitens very quickly. Thankfully for myself it lasted all of 20 seconds.

-Time and time again I can't understand why crews execute the wrong stall recovery technic as seen again in this case. Stall recovery has never been taught different from day one. Pitch down, roll wings level then power!

Why fight to maintain level if the aircraft is going down? (Referring to nose up inputs, but maybe the pilot was trying to avoid a believed overspeed. Once a pitot is blocked and an aircraft climbs, speed will increase. This might explain why he initially pitched up thinking he was caught in a sever up draft.)
Why apply TOGA thrust to recover from stall when you have altitude? The thrust coupling would have been a great hindrance to attempts to drop the nose.
The aircraft is stalled in Alternate Law, it is obvious they had icing, why did the PF use aerolons to recover the wing drop? Inducing a cross control stalls. Correct method, as always been taught, use rudder to recover a wing drop.

-I am sure engine anti-ice would have been on, but did anyone select Wing Anti-ice? Further note, tailplane was probably heavily iced as well not helping stall recovery.

HKPAX You're obviously not a A330 pilot or never hand flown your aircraft high altitude and don't know much about about the plane you "fly". EVEN in alternate law the pitch is a G request, so softly pushing on the stick at high altitude will give the same effect as sofly pushing on the stick at sea level. I know this to be true, as I have had to fly in Alternate law at FL340 because of a dual FMGC failure. If we were talking Boeing, you'd be right. But we are not! Second, a change from level flight to a 7'000ft/min climb then a 10'000ft/min descent in such a short time is definitely gonna be noticed by all as high Gs are involved.

Engine-eer I assume you are an engineer, so I don't expect you know about the auto trim operation on an Airbus, like you wouldn't expect me to know how to change an engine on one.
The auto trim function only ceases when:
-Alpha Floor is engaged (Not available in Alternate or Direct law)
-Below 50ft RA
-Load factor drops below 0.5g
-Aircraft in high speed protection (Not so as aircraft was stalled)
-Pilot manually over rides via trim wheel

Note: In alternate mode. Pitch is load factor and roll is direct.