PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 15:41
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arcal76, Sounds like you have a bit of a dog there.

Only advice I have is to do a thorough acceptance inspection. One company I know of sends 4 guys for acceptance checks and they get Agusta to tear the machine apart. They basically punish Agusta for any sloppy install work by having everything replaced (not repaired) that they are not happy with.

This seems to be the only way to make Agusta understand that they need to concentrate more on the finishing of their product.

Agusta don't like spending manhours pulling apart a new helicopter, so hopefully they will learn to put them together better in the first place!

Yes, acceptance checks of that nature can be expensive, but I'd rather spend the money then, at the factory, and get as many of those annoying bugs sorted out on Agusta's dollar. Convincing the accountants in your company may bea totally different matter!

Speaking from experience, machines that have had a proper acceptance check have gone into service relatively easily. The couple we received with no acceptance check (management said engineering inspections at delivery were not cost effective) have been plagued with electrical defects and other issues that should have easily been found and rectified on an acceptance inspection, leading to a few days of down time, and a lot of lost revenue. Not cost effective? The hell it isn't!

Do a proper acceptance check!!! Pull out EVERY box in the center console. Check each box for damage. Check the wiring. Pull up the cabin floor, check wiring and liferaft cables. Pull down the ceiling, check wiring, ductwork, and control runs. If you see wiring rubbing on the structure, try to get the loom replaced. the wires could already be damaged, so don't accept a localised repair. You have forked out a lot of money, don't accept a machine that is not ready to go into service. Get Agusta to put it right BEFORE you fly away.

The guys at Agusta that I've dealt with on acceptance checks have all been very helpful, and while they don't like pulling a new helicopter apart, they do understand that the customer has the right to request it, and will put in long hours to make sure everything you find is rectified to your satisfaction.

The onus is on YOU as the customer to pick up things that they have missed.

And no, sorry, I don't know what is wrong with your ELT, I haven't seen an ELT on a 139 for about 5 years, only CPI's Check your G switch? Or the ELT itself?