PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 13:59
md80forum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAT

Is any OAT information available? I am recalling the Pulkovo 612 accident, that beside a daredevil decision by the Captain to overclimb CB also was hit by a monstrous updraft sending the plane into a 16,000 fpm zoom to FL420, where it stalled.

"Pulkovo 612 departed Anapa (AAQ) for St. Petersburg (LED). The Tupolev climbed to the cruise altitude of 35,100 feet (10.700 m). Because of storm cells ahead, the pilot decided to change course laterally by 20 km and attempted to climb over the storm cells. However, the thunderstorm front was unusually high, extending up to 15 km (49,000 feet). The Tu-154 entered an area of severe turbulence, pushing up the airplane from 11.961 m to 12.794 m within just 10 seconds. The angle of attack increased to 46 degrees and the airspeed dropped to zero."

Very little is being said in this thread about highly unusual and unexpected WX phenomena that may have caused the rapid freezing of the pitots and the initial upset. Could sudden changes in OAT those minutes into the flight give a hint?

Pardon me for entering ID badge area with my RTF and ICAO 5 English rating.