PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 13:55
Yo767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar erroneous AOA indication experience on B767300

A couple years ago, I had to fly between two mounstrous squall lines (30nm appart) on a B767300ER. I was descending thru FL250 in dusty air (no water content) for an approach into Lahore, Pakistan, when the stick shaker was triggered continuously for about 1 minute with severe turbulence. I was on FLCH, thrust idle and the airplane was climbing at 500fpm for the whole minute. The AI was showing about -5 to 0 degree. Until today, I assume I encountered the mother of all updraft and for that reason, a high angle of attack information was sensed and triggered the stall warning system.

I was then transferred to the Airbus fleet and prayed everyday I wouldn't encountered the same scenario aboard the A320 I was flying because I had no clue how it would behave in such a situation. I am sure it would be way more confusing than how it happened in the 76 due to the relative complexity of the flight envelope protection system.

This is not an Airbus bashing post but a personal experience that may help understand what happened in AF447.

If it ain't Boeing I'll be going but not by choice...