PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Pilots 'unfit for flying' Sent Home
Old 28th May 2011, 12:46
E L Whisty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am usually reluctant to contribute to threads, like this, that are so full of sanctimonious bull, ill-informed conjecture and unqualified judgement. (Not to mention the little bit of ‘If ya ain’t a fighter pilot ya ain’t s##t childishness.)

Younghearts, however, raises a view that has resonance in my experience.

Whoever these officers are, they have (if the reports are correct) already been punished. RTU is (or was in my time) a serious blemish on a career. If it is, as has been suggested, two senior officers, that blemish might well arrest their careers and waste their potential. The summary imposition of a restriction of privileges to a group of people as an expression of displeasure at the conduct of one or two is not, in my opinion, the mark of an inspiring leader. So, punishments administered – due process observed?

How important is it that the two persons involved came to the notice of the local law officers at 0600 hrs? I seem to recall on ops that my watch went to zulu and my routine was run by ops and my bod. So, it was not unusual to find a group of peeps having their ‘beer o’clock’ at oh four dubs (Zulu, Delta or downtown time).

Who reported that one was sprawling and another staggering? Please define sprawling. Laid in a storm drain wailing for Huey or sitting on a kerbstone waiting for a cab? I seem to recall climbing out of a Phantom after circa 7 hours chasing Red Stars around the oggin and having a very unsteady gait. It is staggering what cramp and knackerdness can do to a man.

One thing I do know is that I advised some youngsters, 30 odd years ago, to be very careful with the Italian police, especially the chaps with the auto carbines that they seemed so keen to show to foreigners. I also remember advising against being rude or inconsiderate to ladies, children or little old fellows who appeared to be destitute peasants but might just be pretending.

Government is done rather differently in different places in the world so it is best not to offend anybody and do your unwinding behind closed doors where only your trusted buddies will see your foolishness.

Yet again, we find so many people keen to assert their omniscient judgement on people based on meagre reports from ‘the press’. Like red light tarts, their aim is to get us over excited so that we will part with money for something not quite so fulfilling as we might first think.

I don’t know what features are prominent in the curriculum of Air Marshal school nowadays but maybe they need to beef up the bits about looking after your dudes and dudettes. The familial happiness of the service has, from time to time, been marred by career anxious commanders who are keen to demonstrate their robust approach to discipline. On occasion, that is taken to gob smackingly daft extremes, but that is covered at the top of the Military Aircrew forum.

Sometimes, being a boss is like being a parent. A quiet word – usually a few questions - explores the issues and a little kind advice can be given. Afterwards, the kids toddle off a little wiser but still thinking Mum / Dad are hopeless out of touch old farts, even if their intentions are good. 30 odd years later, the kids have entirely forgotten the details but, uncannily, find themselves curiously wise when dealing with their own kids’ cock ups.

Other times, and if handled poorly by Mum or Dad, the kids get a strop on and rebel. It would be most unfortunate if summary punishments were contested and commanders were called to account in law. Especially if such commanders found that an auxiliary one-way valve in the loyalty conduit had been installed just above their heads.