PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 12:28
VeniVidiVici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt was away from the cockpit resting!

Whenever flying as multiple/augmented crew, my company schedules 2 captains & 1 F/O (this was gotten forcefully accepted by our pilots' association and the captains). So at all times you have 1 capt on the flight deck and somestimes 2 capts whilst the F/O is on a break. In the relaxed cockpit crew scheduling regime at AF and possibly other reputable carriers as well they put 2 F/Os in a 3 member set. Considering enroute WX forecasts and/or actual WX returns the Capt on AF 447 should have retained his seat and reclined it for rest. I can't understand how any responsible capt would prefer his allotted rest over safety of operation especially if that rest meant being away from the flight deck. Sheer negligence I'd say. AF and other companies that allow crew rest periods need to urgently review their scheduling policy and advise their crew to exercise sound judgement and discretion for rest periods considering segments of bad enroute WX. I always thought that one takes adequate rest prior to assuming duty and layover time is best spent and meant to arrive fresh for duty. I hope and am sure that the final report will adequately address the question of this capt, his rest break, and absence from the cockpit.