PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 07:26
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
beinville
you are wrong

I trained for minimum loss of altitude assuming that the stall warning would happen on the latter stages of approach - full power and maintain attitude or stop it increasing unless it was extreme.

Automatics
We used to fly military type visual approaches with the engines in idle down to 500ft.
Two F100s had stall warnings on final turn at Nice - both were initially thought to be false as we had been told we had 100% stall protection a la airbus - not true as with a certain FMS selection we could get into an open descent mode without stall protection.
The books were rewritten.

The stalling demonstrations that I carried out on the sim were generally the same as taught in little aeroplanes and not representative of real life.

I had several stall warnings in the earlier part of my career - generally in turbulence and in all but one case they were written up as false which turned out not to be the case.

I seem to understand that the initial stall warning was false?

Again the Stab trim - this was considered so important on a couple of airliners that I flew that it beeped on every rotation of the wheel and we could reach a CB to isolate it if it started to runaway.