PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 Thread No. 3
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 07:07
Bienville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD-EE say:
Hal betrayed them by failing to recognize the abrupt decrease in the plane's air speed without any control inputs to have caused it. Rather than declaring a stall Hal should have declared something else, "I'm lost in a maze of twisty little lines instruction code and need you to take command probably to fly pitch and attitude for a short while."
Um... are you ok? The plane stalled. That's why the stall warning went off.

The stall warning created a wrong but apparently predictable reaction in the person flying the plane. Grab sky and grab speed.
I take it you are not a pilot. At 37,000 feet over the ocean, he hardly needed to "grab sky." -- Unless there was a 38,000 tree in front of him. The proper reply was to drop the nose. THE PILOT failed to do so. Not 'Hal" but the THE PILOT.

I understand that in a more rational world at altitude a genuine stall warning means get the nose down and gain speed then get altitude back. But that never happens so it's never trained for, except it did happen.
1) It was a genuine stall, that's why the plane fell out the sky.
2) High Altitude stalls do happen and they are trained for. The pilots failed to execute the proper procedures.

Between Hal's erroneous stall warning ....
It was three stall warnings and all of them were legit. THAT"S WHY THE PLANE CRASHED.

-------------------

Really, if you have nothing to offer but drama laced nonsense, spare wasting the time of people who actually know a bit about how those airplane thingies fly.